Do you have a dataset, or survey data, that has random distances between points which you would like to have a more uniform distribution? SMS contains a tool that allows you to smooth data. By using the Smooth Datasets tool you can create a new dataset that has a more even distribution.
To use the Smooth Dataset tool, do the following:
- Make certain you have the Scatter module containing the dataset active. If your dataset is in a different geometry, it may need to be converted to a scatter set.
- Use the Dataset Toolbox command in the Data menu to open the Dataset Toolbox.
- Select the Smooth Dataset tool under the list of tools.
- Enter the parameters for smoothing the dataset.
When using the Smooth Dataset tool there are a few items to keep in mind:
- There are no restrictions related to X or Y point distribution. In other words, the dataset points don’t need to align with a grid.
- The "Element Area Change" option is only recommended when smoothing size functions for certain meshing methods (i.e. scalar paving).
- When smoothing elevations, the "Maximum slope" method is recommended. This function works with any scalar dataset, but I will assume elevation as the dataset for this explanation.
- When using the "Maximum slope" method, the elevation of a starting point is compared with its neighboring points (connected via triangles). The elevation of a neighboring point is adjusted if the slope between the points exceeds the specified maximum.
- The "Anchor type" determines the starting point.
- If "Minimum value" is selected, SMS starts at the point with the lowest elevation, and the elevations of its neighboring points are adjusted if necessary. SMS then continues to the point with the next lowest elevation.
The Smooth Dataset tool can help you resolve issues with raw data and help your model be more efficient. Try out the Smooth Dataset tool in SMS today!