The World's Most Powerful 1D/2D
Hydrodynamic Engine for Flood Modeling
Method:1D/2D Finite Difference
Why TUFLOW with SMS?
SMS provides a custom interface to the TUFLOW model offering a simple way to set model parameters and a graphical user interface to run the model and visualize the results. Gather background data from a variety of sources from GIS to CAD and access online data from numerous databases of maps, images, and elevation data. SMS allows you to interact with models in true 3D taking advantage of optimized OpenGL graphics and to create photo-realistic renderings and animations for PowerPoint, print, and web presentations.
TUFLOW is a 1D/2D flood and tidal model that has a wide range of applications with similar capabilities to other, more expensive flood models. When compared with leading flood simulation models, TUFLOW boasts improved data handling and faster computations.
TUFLOW offers stable, robust and efficient hydrodynamic modeling at a fraction of the cost of other high-end models.
What makes TUFLOW Unique?
TUFLOW is specifically beneficial where the hydrodynamic behavior in coastal waters, estuaries, rivers, floodplains and urban drainage environments have complex 2D flow patterns that would be awkward to represent using traditional 1D network models. It is suited to modelling flooding in major rivers through to complex overland and piped urban flows, along with estuarine and coastal hydraulics.
A powerful feature of TUFLOW is its 2D/1D dynamic linking, first pioneered in 1990, and subsequently enhanced to the point where it offers unparalleled flexibility and robustness. TUFLOW continues to develop and evolve to meet the challenges of hydrodynamic modelling.
Why TUFLOW with SMS?
The SMS team works closely with the TUFLOW developers to create the premier solution for flood and tide modeling. Build your TUFLOW model from start to finish all within SMS.
- Superior data handling
- Intuitive simulation management
- Import and export capabilities for CAD and GIS software
- Coupling with other models such as PTM (Particle Tracking Model)
Where does TUFLOW excel?
- Rapid and stable wetting and drying
- 1D and 2D linked models
- Multiple 2D domains (optional)
- Represent hydraulic structures in 1D or 2D
- Automatic upstream/downstream controlled flow regime switching
- 1D and 2D supercritical flow
- Highly flexible and efficient data handling
- GIS based
- Extensive quality control outputs
- Powerful visualization and post-processing tools for managing datasets, analyzing results, and creating presentation graphics
- 1D cross-section based channels or pipe networks (storm drains)
Get Started with SMS & TUFLOW
Discover the power and capabilities of TUFLOW & SMS with a free 2-week trial. Visit the Download Center for the latest full installation of SMS. Included in the installation are a collection of SMS and TUFLOW tutorials.
Additional TUFLOW tutorials are also available for download here.
The tutorials provide step-by-step instructions for:
- Working with background data and creating grids
- Setting up simulations
- Using TUFLOW log files to find and fix problems
- Embedding 1D culverts in a 2D domain
- Using combined 1D/2D models
- Modelling Bridges