Developer:Federal Highways Administration,
U.S. Dept. of Transportation
Why HY-8 with WMS?
WMS provides a custom interface to the HY-8 model offering a simple way to set model parameters and a graphical user interface to run the model and visualize the results. Gather background data from a variety of sources from GIS to CAD and access online data from numerous databases of maps, images, elevation, land use, and soil data. WMS allows you to interact with models in true 3D taking advantage of optimized OpenGL graphics and to create photo-realistic renderings and animations for PowerPoint, print, and web presentations.
The HY-8 model is used to determine the upstream headwater depth and culvert barrel flow profile for a variety of different culvert configurations. The HY-8 wizard in WMS is used to delineate a watershed upstream from a culvert, compute a hydrograph, and determine the inundated area behind a culvert from an HY-8 analysis.
More recent versions of the software include:
- Energy dissipation calculators
- A new culvert shape/coefficient database
- The ability to model buried (embedded) culverts
- The Utah State University exit loss equation was added as an option when computing outlet losses
- Modeling of plastic pipes
- Research was conducted relating to sequent depth computations for hydraulic jump computations
- Several improvements and fixes were made to the HY-8 report generation tools
- Section property matrix of 10 points for interpolation was replaced with direct computation of section properties for each discharge
- The profile computation code was rewritten to increase program stability and efficiency
- Capability was added to model hydraulic jumps and their lengths in culverts
- Capability was added to model broken back culverts and hydraulic jump locations/lengths in broken back culverts
- Ability to model horizontal and adverse slopes was added
- Two new culvert types were added to the culvert shape/coefficient database: Concrete open-bottom arch (CON/SPAN) and South Dakota prefabricated reinforced concrete box culverts