Coastal Circulation and Wave Modeling with SMS
This course will provide you with the knowledge and tools necessary to apply numerical models for coastal circulation, tides, waves, wave-current interaction, sediment transport, and morphology change. A step-by-step approach will be used providing instruction and examples covering the modeling process from regional to project scale. Models covered include ADCIRC, STWAVE, CMS-FLOW, CMS-WAVE, CGWAVE, and BOUSS-2D. An introduction to the newly released Particle Tracking Model (PTM) will also be included.
You will learn to use the latest tools available in SMS for network generation, data filtering, and advanced conceptual modeling. Come and learn how to be more effective in your coastal modeling projects!
Course Topics Covered:
- Review coastal processes involved in hydrodynamic simulation
- Learn advanced techniques for network generation
- Model wind and storm surge to predict coastal flooding
- Simulate circulation in large scale coastal systems with ADCIRC
- Model circulation and sediment transport with CMS-FLOW
- Learn to use the STWAVE and CMS-WAVE spectral wave models
- Perform phase-resolving wave modeling with CGWAVE and BOUSS-2D
- Practice circulation/wave model coupling to evaluate the interaction of currents and waves
- Simulate particle transport processes with PTM
|Day 1 AM||Welcome
Overview of SMS
Data Management in SMS
Conceptual Modeling approach
|Day 1 PM||ADCIRC Overview
Advanced Mesh Generation
|Day 2 AM||CMS-FLOW Overview
Extraction from Regional Models
|Day 2 PM||CMS-FLOW Model Control
Sediment Transport Parameters
|Day 3 AM||Spectral Wave Models
Spectrum Generation & Editing
Half Plane, Full Plane Models
|Day 3 PM||CMS-WAVE Overview
Spectrum Generation & Editing
Model Coupling – Steering Module
|Day 4 AM||Phase Resolving Wave Modeling
Mesh Generation & Parameters
|Day 4 PM||BOUSS-2D Overview
Grid Generation & Parameters
Particle Tracking Model (PTM) Overview
Grid Setup & Model Execution
Dr. Alan Zundel. Architect and director of the SMS interface development. Author of SMS reference manual and tutorials. Ph.D., Brigham Young University, 1994. President, Aquaveo, LLC. Dr. Zundel has taught university level courses and several short courses in the area on hydraulic analysis and finite element modeling.
Royd Nelson - Mr. Nelson is Vice President of Aquaveo LLC and a licensed professional Engineer in the state of Utah. He is responsible for all consulting and modeling projects at Aquaveo. Mr. Nelson has been involved with organizing and conducting hydrologic and hydraulic modeling training courses for the past 18 years. Mr. Nelson has also performed numerous hydraulic modeling projects using SMS and TUFLOW for flood studies, scour studies, for riverine, coastal and estuarine applications.
Tom Moreland. Engineering consultant at Aquaveo and past developer of SMS; Tom has over 10 years of experience working with SMS and teaching SMS courses at locations throughout the world.
Todd Wood - is a civil engineer and surface-water modeler at Aquaveo. Todd has BS in Civil and Environmental Engineering from Brigham Young Univeristy. He worked for two years as a technical support associate for SMS and now works on surface-water modeling projects at Aquaveo. Todd has experience in teaching at several SMS training courses in the United States and in China.
The cost of the 4-day course is $1995 (USD) per attendee. Save on all registrations made at least 30 days prior to the course – add $100 to the price above for late registration.
Registration includes the following:
- Instruction and hands-on use of the Surface-water Modeling System (SMS).
- Comprehensive Course Notes.
- Software CD containing the SMS software, tutorials, and documentation.
- A 30-day trial license of the full Surfacewater Modeling System.
- 25% Discount (up to $500.00) on the purchase of an SMS license.
- Lunch and coffee/snack breaks.
Training Attendee Cancellation Policy
Participants may be required to provide their own computer with the following specifications:
- Operating System: Windows XP*, Windows Vista®, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10
- RAM: 4 GB (8 GB recommended)
- CPU: SMS software is CPU intensive. Some models and utilities integrated with SMS can take advantage of multiple processor cores simultaneously. We recommend the fastest CPU your budget allows.
- Graphics Card: For all display features to be enabled, OpenGL 1.5 or higher must be supported. The use of a dedicated graphics card is strongly recommended. Integrated graphics cards are often problematic.
- Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080 or greater
Recommendations for hotels can be provided. Each attendee is responsible for their own accommodations.