GIS-Based Modeling and Data Management Using Arc Hydro Groundwater
A hands-on course featuring the GIS-based Arc Hydro Groundwater data model and tools including: managing groundwater data, creating common maps (water levels, water quality), building 3D hydrogeologic models, and integrating MODFLOW models into ArcGIS.
This course will provide you with the knowledge and tools necessary to use the Arc Hydro Groundwater data model and tools. You will learn how to build and customize an Arc Hydro Groundwater geodatabase, import data, produce maps of temporal data such as water levels and water quality, manage and visualize borehole data, build 3D hydrogeologic models inside ArcGIS including construction of 2D and 3D cross sections and volume models, and import, edit, visualize, and create workflows with MODFLOW models inside ArcGIS.
You will learn to use the latest tools available in Arc Hydro Groundwater. Come and learn how to be more effective!
Course Outline - 3 Days
- Introduction to geodatabases and the Arc Hydro Groundwater data model
- Building and customizing an Arc Hydro Groundwater geodatabase
- Working with wells and time series data and creating water level maps using the Groundwater Analyst tools
- Learn how to use Model Builder to automate workflows
- Managing and visualizing borehole data (vertical, non-vertical)
- Building 3D hydrogeologic models with Subsurface Analyst tools
- Creating 2D cross sections in ArcMap
- Learn how groundwater models can be viewed in Arc Map to aid decision making
|Day 1 AM||Welcome and introduction.
Overview of geodatabases.
Introduction to the Arc Hydro Groundwater (AHGW) Data Model.
Building an AHGW geodatabase.
|Day 1 PM||Managing time series datasets in Arc Hydro Groundwater.
Working with wells and time series data.
Creating water level maps.
Automating workflows using Model Builder.
|Day 2 AM||Overview of managing borehole data including vertical and non- vertical boreholes.
Subsurface Analyst tools for visualizing 3D borehole data.Overview of the Hydrostratigraphy component for managing 3D hydrogeologic models in ArcGIS.
Building 3D hydrogeologic models with the horizons method.
|Day 2 PM||Overview of the XS2D component.
Using ArcMap editing tools to digitize 2D cross sections.
Using the XS2D Wizard, sketching cross sections, adding outcrops, raster data, well construction data, and faults to the cross section.
Converting 3D cross sections to 2D.
|Day 3 AM||Geophysical data with XS2D
Using sketched cross sections to generate geovolumes
Adding control points - converting cross sections to points.
|Day 3 PM||Intro to MODFLOW Analyst
Overview of the Simulation component, the MODFLOW Data Model, and MODFLOW Analyst tools.
Web applications for MODFLOW Analyst
Alan Lemon - Arc Hydro Groundwater Teamleader and member of the GMS development team and software engineer at Aquaveo. Alan has years of experience developing groundwater modeling software and teaching. He has also been involved in several consulting projects using GMS and Arc Hydro to model groundwater systems.
Todd Wood - is a civil engineer and groundwater modeler at Aquaveo. Todd has a MS and BS in Civil and Environmental Engineering from Brigham Young University. He worked for four years as a technical support associate for GMS and AHGW and now works on groundwater modeling projects at Aquaveo. Todd has taught groundwater modeling training courses in the United States, China, and Australia.
Thomas Griffiths - has been member of the Arc Hydro team for several years. Thomas has provided Arc Hydro Groundwater training in the United States and Internationally and is also responsible for development testing of the software. Additionally, Thomas is a consulting engineer who uses the Arc Hydro data model and tools for well permitting and groundwater modeling projects.
The cost of the 3-day course is $1395 (USD) per attendee. Save on all registrations made at least 30 days prior to the course – add $100 to the price above for late registration.
Registration includes the following:
- Instruction and hands-on use of Arc Hydro Groundwater data model and tools.
- Comprehensive Course Notes.
- Software CD containing the Arc Hydro Groundwater software, tutorials, and documentation.
- A 30-day trial license of the full Arc Hydro Groundwater tools.
- 25% Discount (up to $500.00) on the purchase of a Arc Hydro Groundwater license.
- Lunch and coffee/snack breaks.
Training Attendee Cancellation Policy
Participants may be required to provide their own computer with the following specifications:
- ArcGIS®: Version 9.3 - 10.5 (users with a Basic level or higher license)
- Microsoft®: .NET Framework Version 3.5 (will be installed with Arc Hydro Groundwater if not present)
- .NET support needs to be enabled in ArcGIS after installation of Arc Hydro Groundwater is complete
- ESRI's 3D Analyst is required to visualize 3D features
- ESRI's Spatial Analyst is required for interpolation
Recommendations for hotels can be provided. Each attendee is responsible for their own accommodations.