2D Hydraulic Flow with SMS
NEW COURSE CONTENT - Learn SRH and TUFLOW!
SMS is a comprehensive package of tools for simplifying the development of 2D hydraulic models. 2D models are increasingly required for projects as many hydraulic systems are too complex to model properly using 1D models. With SMS, 2D modeling can be performed efficiently, providing cost effective solutions with greater detail and a higher level of confidence.
This hands-on, application oriented training course will provide you with the knowledge and tools needed to build 2D hydrodynamic models effectively with the latest version of SMS. Lectures and workshops in this course provide experience in setting up and running both SRH and TUFLOW simulations for hydraulic flow modeling.
Course Outline - 4 Days:
- Learn about the capabilities of the FHWA sponsored SRH model and the TUFLOW model developed by WBM Australia.
- Import, process, and manage background data from various sources.
- Practice the conceptual modeling approach to define mesh properties, boundary conditions, and area properties.
- Learn how to develop both structured and unstructured meshes in SMS.
- Gain experience setting up, debugging and running numerical models in SMS using SRH and TUFLOW.
- Practice using the post-processing and visualization tools in SMS.
- Create scatter plots, display contours, draw vectors, build animations and create functional surfaces of model solutions.
- Annotate and prepare data for presentations.
- Export data for use in reports and in CAD and GIS applications.
|Day 1 AM||Introduction to SMS
|Day 1 PM||Conceptual Modeling Development
|Day 2 AM||Model Parameters
|Day 2 PM||SRH Structures
Guided Workshop - SRH
|Day 3 AM||Hydraulic Theory
TUFLOW Special Topics
|Day 3 PM||TUFLOW Structures
Guided Workshop – TUFLOW
|Day 4 AM||Visualization
Observation Data and Data Extraction
|Day 4 PM||Comprehensive Example
Dr. Alan Zundel - Dr. Zundel leads Aquaveo and was the original manager of the SMS under contract to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Dr. Zundel has a long history of model development and application for several 1D and 2D hydraulic and sediment transport models including SRH, TUFLOW, ADH, RMA2, FESWMS, and others. He has also been involved with hydraulic modeling projects for the past twenty years. Dr. Zundel has taught university level courses and has also instructed numerous training courses in the US and internationally and for all of the models included in the SMS package.
Royd Nelson - Mr. Nelson is Vice President of Aquaveo LLC and a licensed professional Engineer in the state of Utah. He is responsible for all consulting and modeling projects at Aquaveo. Mr. Nelson has been involved with organizing and conducting hydrologic and hydraulic modeling training courses for the past 18 years. Mr. Nelson has also performed numerous hydraulic modeling projects using SMS and TUFLOW for flood studies, scour studies, for riverine, coastal and estuarine applications.
Tom Moreland - Mr. Moreland is a Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) and Vice President at Aquaveo. As a consulting engineer and previous developer of SMS, Mr. Moreland has over 15 years of experience building hydrologic and hydraulic models. He also manages the technical support group at Aquaveo and specializes in helping engineers utilize hydrodynamic modeling tools. Mr. Moreland has taught dozens of SMS and WMS training courses for the US Army Corps of Engineers, the Federal Highway Administration, and consulting firms at locations throughout the world.
The cost of the 4-day course is $1595 (USD) per attendee. Save on all registrations made at least 30 days prior to the course – add $100 to the price above for late registration.
Registration includes the following:
- Instruction and hands-on use of the Surface-water Modeling System (SMS).
- Comprehensive Course Notes.
- Software CD containing the SMS software, tutorials, and documentation.
- A 30-day trial license of the full Surfacewater Modeling System.
- 25% Discount (up to $500.00) on the purchase of an SMS license.
- Lunch and coffee/snack breaks.
Training Attendee Cancellation Policy
Participants may be required to provide their own computer with the following specifications:
- Operating System: Windows XP*, Windows Vista®, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10
- RAM: 4 GB (8 GB recommended)
- CPU: SMS software is CPU intensive. Some models and utilities integrated with SMS can take advantage of multiple processor cores simultaneously. We recommend the fastest CPU your budget allows.
- Graphics Card: For all display features to be enabled, OpenGL 1.5 or higher must be supported. The use of a dedicated graphics card is strongly recommended. Integrated graphics cards are often problematic.
- Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080 or greater
To be announced