2D Hydraulic Flow with SMS
NEW COURSE CONTENT - Learn SRH and TUFLOW!
SMS is a comprehensive package of tools for simplifying the development of 2D hydraulic models. 2D models are increasingly required for projects as many hydraulic systems are too complex to model properly using 1D models. With SMS, 2D modeling can be performed efficiently, providing cost effective solutions with greater detail and a higher level of confidence.
This hands-on, application oriented training course will provide you with the knowledge and tools needed to build 2D hydrodynamic models effectively with the latest version of SMS. Lectures and workshops in this course provide experience in setting up and running both SRH and TUFLOW simulations for hydraulic flow modeling.
Course Outline - 4 Days:
- Learn about the capabilities of the FHWA sponsored SRH model and the TUFLOW model developed by WBM Australia.
- Import, process, and manage background data from various sources.
- Practice the conceptual modeling approach to define mesh properties, boundary conditions, and area properties.
- Learn how to develop both structured and unstructured meshes in SMS.
- Gain experience setting up, debugging and running numerical models in SMS using SRH and TUFLOW.
- Practice using the post-processing and visualization tools in SMS.
- Create scatter plots, display contours, draw vectors, build animations and create functional surfaces of model solutions.
- Annotate and prepare data for presentations.
- Export data for use in reports and in CAD and GIS applications.
|Day 1 AM||Introduction to SMS
|Day 1 PM||Conceptual Modeling Development
|Day 2 AM||Model Parameters
|Day 2 PM||SRH Structures
Guided Workshop - SRH
|Day 3 AM||Hydraulic Theory
TUFLOW Special Topics
|Day 3 PM||TUFLOW Structures
Guided Workshop – TUFLOW
|Day 4 AM||Visualization
Observation Data and Data Extraction
|Day 4 PM||Comprehensive Example
Todd Wood - Mr. Todd Wood is a water resources consulting engineer at Aquaveo. Mr. Wood received his Master's and Bachelor's degrees in Civil and Environmental Engineering from Brigham Young University. He conducts professional training courses worldwide in the use of all Aquaveo software (GMS, SMS, WMS, and AHGW) and related numerical models. He has conducted training for clients including the National Highway Institute, Tadeusz Kościuszko University of Technology (Kraków, Poland), City of Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, and Peking University (Beijing, China), among others. His recent project experience includes using the AHGW data model and geoprocessing tools in ArcGIS to develop a three-dimensional subsurface model for the North Platte Natural Resources District (NPNRD) in Texas and various coastal modeling projects in the British Virgin Islands utilizing ADCIRC and the Coastal Modeling System. Mr. Wood began his experience at Aquaveo as a technical support representative and later as the manager of the technical support group for 2 years in which he provided customer support in the proper use and application of Aquaveo software products.
Tom Moreland - Mr. Moreland is a Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) and Vice President at Aquaveo. As a consulting engineer and previous developer of SMS, Mr. Moreland has over 15 years of experience building hydrologic and hydraulic models. He also manages the technical support group at Aquaveo and specializes in helping engineers utilize hydrodynamic modeling tools. Mr. Moreland has taught dozens of SMS and WMS training courses for the US Army Corps of Engineers, the Federal Highway Administration, and consulting firms at locations throughout the world.
The cost of the 4-day course is $750 (USD) per attendee.
Registration includes the following:
- Instruction and hands-on use of the Surface-water Modeling System (SMS).
- Comprehensive Course Notes.
- Software CD containing the SMS software, tutorials, and documentation.
- A 30-day trial license of the full Surfacewater Modeling System.
- 25% Discount (up to $500.00) on the purchase of an SMS license.
Training Attendee Cancellation Policy
Participants may be required to provide their own computer with the following specifications:
- Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 operating system
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)
- CPU: SMS software is CPU intensive. Some models and utilities integrated with SMS can take advantage of multiple processor cores simultaneously.
- Graphics Card: For all display features to be enabled, OpenGL 1.5 or higher must be supported. The use of a dedicated graphics card is strongly recommended. Integrated graphics can result in significantly reduced performance and may not support some visualization features.
- 1024x768 resolution (1280x1024 or higher recommended)
To be announced